Located just 24 miles north of Chicago’s Loop, the Village of Glencoe is bordered by Lake Michigan, the Cook County Forest Preserve, and the Glencoe Golf Course. Founded by Anson Taylor in 1835 as Taylorsport, the town of Glencoe would not receive its current name until 1869 when it was incorporated with just 26 homes. Glencoe has maintained this historic small-town charm, as well as family-oriented neighborhoods while developing into a thriving village for people to live, work, and visit.
With abundant parks, convenient beach facilities, and one of the most attractive business districts along the North Shore, Glencoe is a great place to visit. Whether you come to shop and eat downtown, to spend the day at the Chicago Botanic Garden, to enjoy a show at the regionally acclaimed Writers Theatre, or to take in the sight of one of our thirteen Frank Lloyd Wright-designed structures—there is plenty to see and do in Glencoe.
Representation in media
- Glencoe in the 1970s and 1980s is recalled as the backdrop of the coming-of-age memoir Lake Effect, by author Rich Cohen. This introduced his “Jamie Drew” character, based on exploits of his fellow native Mark Varouxakis.
- The plot of the film Mean Girls is set in Evanston on Chicago’s North Shore. It refers to Glencoe in the quote “You go Glen-Coco”.
- Glencoe was the stated setting for the 1983 film Risky Business, starring Tom Cruise. The movie was filmed in neighboring Highland Park.
- Scenes from the 1986 John Hughes film Ferris Bueller’s Day Off were filmed in Glencoe, as were scenes from Sixteen Candles.
- The Glencoe train station is featured in scenes from Clint Eastwood‘s Flags of Our Fathers, as well as John Hughes’ She’s Having a Baby.
- The 2011 film Contagion (featuring Gwyneth Paltrow, Kate Winslet, Jude Law and Matt Damon) has scenes that were filmed in Glencoe.
Demographics & Geography
- Population of 8,888
- Race is 94.0% white, 6% other
- Median household income of $171,250
- Median home value of $971,100
- Area of 3.78 square miles
- Incorporated in 1869
- Located in Cook County